Re: Incentives for encouraging staff to self-archive

From: Andrew A. Adams <aaa_at_MEIJI.AC.JP>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 09:57:29 +0900

Colin Smith (via Stevan Harnad):
> Open Research Online: A self-archiving success story.
> Smith, Colin; Yates, Christopher and Chudasama, Sheila (2010)
> The 5th International Conference on Open Repositories 6-9 July 2010, Madrid, Spain.
> http://oro.open.ac.uk/22321/

> In this poster, we use the example of Open Research Online - the research repository of theOpen University - to show that dedicated management and active development and advocacy of an institutional repository can lead to very successful results under the self-archiving model, in this case capturing regularly an estimated 60% of peer-reviewed journal output. Also demonstrated is the significant rise in full text (i.e. fully open access) items in the repository since the implementation of this approach."

I'm a little confused by the numbers in this paragraph. The separation of
"capturing regularly an estimated 60%" and "rise in full text items". I'm not
sure if Colin is on this list, but if not perhaps Stevan could put my
question to him. The OA (practice what you preach - well done :-) ) version
of the poster linked to above has a slightly different line:

"In the case of ORO, this has also resulted in
around 60% of peer-reviewed journal output being
regularly self-archived."

It would be nice to have it spelled out exactly what this deposit rate refers
to. Is it 60% of the estimated refereed journal output of the OU that is
deposited in full text format? From the way it has been put in the email and
the paper it's unclear whether it's the full text deposit that reaches 60%
(unmandated) or just meta-data deposit, with some proportion of those
meta-data deposits including full text.

From my own recent experience with a just-published paper, producing an
author version of the final copy-edited text can actually be a fair amount of
work, to reflect the final words (though not necessarily the formatting) of
the published version (and it is the words that matter, so getting the words
as published is quite important) and so although it might seem that if one is
depositing meta-data that it's just a single extra key-stroke to deposit the
full text, that's not always true if one wants to have the exact words as
published, and not just the pre-copy-edited version.

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      aaa_at_meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and