Re: Repository effectiveness

From: (wrong string) élène.Bosc <hbosc-tchersky_at_orange.fr>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:18:04 +0200

Dear all

Bo-Christer Bjork timing data are interesting, but there is an important
distinction in the way of archiving that must be underscored: Archiving your
past articles is absolutely not the same thing as archiving your current
articles immediately upon acceptance.

I am now a retired librarian but I began "proxy self-archiving" articles on
behalf of the researchers in my lab, in 2002. Much as reported by
Bo-Christer, this exercise took a lot of time (checking the files, checking
the copyright, asking for the approval of the researcher, getting the drafts
into the right format, etc.), and with a sluggish old computer -- not far
from 2 hours per article.

But later I started to self-archive my own articles about OA and even if it
didn't take me 6 minutes per article, I think that it took no more than 15.
Why?

First, because you improve your "skill" in self-archiving progressively.

Second, because I already knew whether I had the right to make the article
open access immediately: I had checked it in choosing my periodical (and
each researcher should do the same). I tried to train the researchers in my
lab to read the copyright they signed and once in 2003 I was very happy in
reading the message of a researcher sending me his article and saying: "you
have the right to self-archive it!" He hadn't even used ROMEO which was not
as complete as it is nowadays. Nor did the Button exist yet, for users to
request copies of closed-access deposits.

Third, and most important, deposit was accelerated because the file had just
been completed; it was "fresh in my memory" and at hand, ready to be
self-archived in the requisite format just by a click on the chosen archive!

In conclusion, I know from experience that self-archiving is an easy task
for all. Researchers should deposit their articles immediately upon
acceptance by the journal: it will not take them more than 15 minutes per
article. If they wish, they can leave it to library staff to check the
copyright and decide whether access to the deposit should be made
immediately open access, or closed access with an embargo.

Hélène Bosc