Re: The First and Foremost PostGutenberg Distinction

From: (wrong string) édon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:25:50 -0500

Bernard,

I will simply quote the Bethesda statement on OA:

 1. Definition of Open Access Publication

An Open Access Publication[1] is one that meets the following two conditions:

 1. The author(s) and copyright holder(s) grant(s) to all users a free,
    irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual right of access to, and a license to copy,
    use, distribute, transmit and display the work publicly and to make and
    distribute derivative works, in any digital medium for any responsible
    purpose, subject to proper attribution of authorship[2], as well as the
    right to make small numbers of printed copies for their personal use.

 2. A complete version of the work and all supplemental materials, including a
    copy of the permission as stated above, in a suitable standard electronic
    format is deposited immediately upon initial publication in at least one
    online repository that is supported by an academic institution, scholarly
    society, government agency, or other well-established organization that
    seeks to enable open access, unrestricted distribution, interoperability,
    and long-term archiving (for the biomedical sciences, PubMed Central is such
    a repository).

I hope this helps you sort out these ideas.

OA is more than simple and cost-less access; it implies the same kinds of
freedoms that a GPL ensures for software.

Much of OA thinking was inspired by the free software movement.

Jean-Claude Guédon