Re: The First and Foremost PostGutenberg Distinction

From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang_at_INRIA.FR>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 19:21:39 +0100

* Jean-Claude Guédon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>, le 16-11-10, a écrit:
> Bernard,
>
> The Green Road is not generally conceived of as "publishing" unless you
> take the work "publishing" in a very general sense, such as "making
> public". Stevan Harnad, in fact, has always carefully separated the
> Green Road (self-archiving - not self-publishing) from both vanity
> presses and publishing reforms. I agree with him on these two points,
> even though I also believe that repositories could make moves that would
> bring them much closer to a publisher-function (to transpose the
> author-function of Michel Foucault). But I do not want to re-open this
> can of worms here.
>
> When most of us speak about the Green or Gold Road to Open Access, we
> generally mean free access and free reuse within some well-defined
> limits (e.g. responsible use) that the Bethesda Declaration (among
> others) tried to spell out). In other words, OA is more than simply an
> ability to read at no costs. OA is an ability to reuse, incorporate,
> etc... Again, think about the GPL in free software and the meaning of
> "free" (as in "free speech") in this context. The power of remixing is
> at the heart of the free software movement, and it is also at the heart
> of a healthy scientific effort. It extends to the notuion of a vigorous
> cultural evolution.

Thank you for the clarification

We are trying to define a notion of open work, that is somewhat fuzzy,
a bit in the spirit of what you say.

> The OA movement does not deal with orphan works in any central way. It
> deals with scholarly and scientific works where the issue of orphan
> works does not appear to be central (at least I have never seen it
> mentioned in this context).

I realized that ... I was only saying that there are threats to open
access that you may not be aware of. This is one of them.

> Your collecting societies in France obviously want to control both
> access and re-use of orphan works. However, as Larry Lessig has pointed
> out, this is not necessarily all bad provided that:
>
> 1. This helps clearly identify orphan works (and as a consequence, it
> also helps define the public domain);

mumble ...

> 2. This removes the problem of identifying rights owners;

no ... they want the owners to be searched first

> 3. The fees collected are modest or even minimal.

that is precisely what they want to avoid. They are after what they
call "the acceptance of payment" ("le consentement à payer") ... they
dont want people to be used to low prices.

> My impression is that you should fight this battle with the use of
> Creative Common licenses, rather than with the OA example. This would
> provide more wiggle room to negotiate an acceptable solution for orphan
> works. And you might remind your negotiating partners that if France
> puts too many restrictions (economic or legal) on orphan works, it will
> simply make the projection of French culture worldwide that much more
> difficult. In other words, French authorities will shoot themselves in
> the foot. I know they are quite good at doing this regularly, to the
> point that i suspect some form of masochism is at work here, but
> nonetheless... Using a suitable CC license on orphan works could lead to
> free re-use of these works so long as it is not commercial. Fees could
> be collected for commercial re-use

does not work legally. But I agree regarding their feets.
They are like their thinking : full of holes.

I am trying something else ... similar result.
  http://www.datcha.net/ecrits/liste/orphan-gbs.pdf

But one thing I am now sure of : orphan works are the wrong concept,
a red herring.

We need registration. And I am sure it can be free.

Bernard

--
             Après la bulle Internet, la bulle financière ...
                   Et bientôt la bulle des brevets