Re: Psychotherapy

From: Upsdell, Louise (LOUISE92@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 23 1995 - 15:52:52 GMT

Dear Stevan, I am slightly confused about the concept of folie a deux.
>From what I can understand, both patient and therapist enter into a
self-fulfilling circle, which involves reinforcing each other. What I
don't understand is why it is such a problem for a therapist to believe
in what he or she is doing. Surely a professional must have faith in
the therapy in order to carry it out convincingly, or is it the case
that one of the qualifications of being a good therapist is to be a
good con artist?! Cheers, Louise