Re: Parapsychology

From: Davies, Charlotte (CHADA92@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 23 1995 - 15:53:49 GMT

This note really goes out on a tangent to most of the issues thus far
debated, but simply due to the fact that it comes under the general
heading of Parapsychology, and the fact that Carrie and myself found it
so fascinating that we originally based our research project around it,
- before some idiot ran off with all our references; that I thought I'd
tell you about it.

Its based on an idea that has cought the interest of Dr. Peter Fenwick
(not from this department !) who is currently researching it in
London, and involves the idea that people who spend a considerable
amount of time together, for example collegues, best friends, lovers;
actually tune into each others brains on a sub-concious level. It has
been explored via the following basic procedure :-

- The two individuals concerned are placed in a room alone so as to
establish a psychological linkage between them.

- The two individuals are then separated into two Farraday cages so
as to disallow "known" forms of communication.

- Each individual has electrodes attached to their heads so as to get
EEG recordings.

- One of the individuals is then exposed to a sudden stimulus -
bright light, loud noise, electric shock !!!!!!!! Which results in a
distinctive alteration in their EEG recordings.

-The other participant receives no such stimuli.

Results have shown that both individuals display exactly the same EEG
changes even though only one received the stimulus.

It has thus been suggested that the individuals thus have a level of
sub-concious connection that allows one to unconciously tap into the
others brain waves and simulate these patterns themselves.
Thus signifying a form of Telepathy.

Pretty damn groovy, don't you think. (you can get back to me on that
point !)

Anyway despite getting the go-ahead from the department we couldn't get
the project moving due to disappearing references, so I guess Carrie
and I will have to put off fame for another few years.

Byeeee Loads of love Charlie & Carrie