Re: Astrology

From: Humphreys, Juliet (JHM92PY@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 24 1995 - 11:48:15 GMT

Ok you guys, there's enough stuff in the sky about horoscopes now.
Yes, we only believe some of it, no we don't believe the bad stuff.
Everyone is saying the same thing, with varying amounts of wit. I
agree, horoscopes had it coming to them. BUT there is more to astrology
than the horoscopes you read in the daily rag, or, if you're rich
enough, the glossy magazine. Serious astrologists, you know, the ones
that take your actual time of birth, place of birth, and that sort of
stuff, and plot your individual chart, get quite upset at the press
that trashy horoscopes give astrology. These individual charts provide
information (allegedly) about your personality, and your future.

The criticisms of this main part of astrology are actually focussing on
the issue of whether our lives can be affected, or are reflected in the
movement of the planets. This is a potent issue, and one I am undecided
on. It becomes obvious though that focussing on horoscopes tailored for
approximately one twelfth of the population is only clouding the more
important questions that surround astrology.

Well that's it. Bye, Jules.