Instructions

From: HARNAD Stevan (harnad@cogsci.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 09 1998 - 20:29:53 GMT

Hi All all 3rd Years in Current Debates (PY308)

I hope this summarises clearly what I described hastily in class:

(a) CHANGES IN THE GEARY ASSIGNMENTS:

(Apologies to those of you who have already done the prior assignments:
I will credit them toward your next assignment! Your work is not lost!)

The new Geary assignments are listed toward the end of this message and
are based on alphabetical order.

(b) DATE/TIME CHANGE FOR THE NEXT PY308
       (as announced in class)

Next session of Current Debates is not Thursday the 12th but
Monday the 16th at 1:50 - 3:30 [Lecture room to be announced]

(c) SUMMARY OF QUOTE/COMMENT PROCEDURE

Here is a quick kid-sib summary of how the course will go, because
I gather some of you are confused!

(1) There will be ten BBS article/commentaries/author-response sets.

(Forget about the Parapsychology; that was just for fun. I may include
it as an optional 11th item on the exam, if I am permitted...)

(2) The exam will consist of 10 questions, one on each
of the BBS article/commentary/author-response sets. Everyone
will answer three out of the 10 questions on the exam.

(3) The (compulsory) classwork is to quote/comment three
times on a few assigned pages out of three of the ten
BBS article/commentary/response sets.

(4) I've never done this before, so I think that asking people to
volunteer and email me as I did was a silly idea. I'll just assign each
person's pages using the alphabetical class list.

(5) I've now done the assignment for the first BBS
article/commentary/response set: the one on Geary. See later
in this message.

(6) If you were assigned either a part of the article, or the
commentaries, or author-response, find them on the Web (see below), read
your part (and the rest too, if this is one of the articles you plan to do
on the exam) and then copy and paste your part into a word processer or
mail file.

(7) Then QUOTE the passage you copied and pasted like this:

> Supposing this were what the passages said, over and over and over.
> Supposing this were what the passages said, over and over and over.
> Supposing this were what the passages said, over and over and over.
> Supposing this were what the passages said, over and over and over.
> Supposing this were what the passages said, over and over and over.

(8) That's how it should look when you have quoted your passage. Your
comment on what you have quoted should follow just as this sentence (7)
did (but longer!).

(9) Once you have done your own comments, send it all as email to:

yr3c@psy.soton.ac.uk

That will get it to the whole class.

(10) Those who are picked to RESPOND to the quote/comment with a
quote/comment of your own will receive the quote/commenters comments
by email. Then you reply, quoting all or part of the comments, as
above. (But you should also read at least the full passage the
quote/commentator is commenting on.)

(d) THE URLS (WEB PAGES) FOR THE COURSE

     Here are the important URLs for this course:

     URL for BBS target articles:

http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/bbs/Archive/

     e.g. URL for the Geary article:

http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/bbs/Archive/bbs.geary.html
    (but you can get it from the index by just clicking on it)

http://cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Debates98/

    That is where you will find the class's comments and responses.

    David Geary:
    Sexual Selection and Sex Differences in Mathematical Abilities

http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/bbs/Archive/bbs.geary.html

(e) ABOUT THE GEARY ARTICLE

The article is in 7 parts: Intro + sections 1 - 6
One person will quote/comment each part (= 7 people)
and one person will reply to each set of comments (= 7 people)

total: 14 people

There are 17 (not 20) commentaries plus the author's Reply.
One person will quote/comment four commentaries each
and one will reply to each quote/comment

total 8 people (full list below)

two people will quote/comment the author-response and two will reply

total: 4 people

Grand total: 26 people

In class we will divide into 3 groups: Everyone will have read the
article and commentaries, and the Skywriting. Each group presents six
"conclusions", with evidence/arguments for and against them.

(f) THE CORRECTED GEARY ASSIGNMENT LIST
      (if any of you are not in PY308, please let me know!)

BECK Alexandra Geary Intro Q/C
BILAK Alexandra Geary Intro Q/C resp
BOLLONS Nicholas Geary Sect1 Q/C
CAPON Samantha Geary Sect1 Q/C resp
CHALMERS Jennifer Geary Sect2 Q/C
CHAN Dorothy Geary Sect2 Q/C resp
CHATWIN Judy Geary Sect3 Q/C
COOKE Alex Geary Sect3 Q/C resp
CRUMLEY Donna Geary Sect4 Q/C
DALE Rebecca Geary Sect4 Q/C resp
DANHALL Anna Geary Sect5 Q/C
DARLING Andrea Geary Sect5 Q/C resp
DEARNS Rachael Geary Sect6 Q/C
DI VIRGILIO Giovanni Geary Sect6 Q/C resp

DIXON Joanna Geary comm1 Q/C
DOCK Jennie Geary comm1 Q/C resp
DUNN Christopher Geary comm2 Q/C
EDWARDS Lucy Geary comm2 Q/C resp
ELLIOTT Mark Geary comm3 Q/C
FENTON Elizabeth Geary comm3 Q/C resp
FLETCHER Emma Geary comm4 Q/C
FRYER Rebecca Geary comm1 Q/C resp

GLASSCOCK Emma Geary resp Q/C
GOODING Hilary Geary resp Q/C resp
HALE Phillipa Geary resp Q/C
HARTE Tom Geary resp Q/C resp

Next time:

HEDGES Joanne
HOOPER Molly
HUMPHREYS Rebecca
KAKAD Sarita
LEE Elizabeth
LYNE Katherine
LYONS Timothy
MACARTHY Victoria
MARSHALL Helen
MASON Corinne
MCLEOD Julia
MCKAY Maria
MCNAUGHT-DAVIS Beth
MUSSLEWHITE Charles
NELSON Claire
NICKSON Joanne
NORMAN Laura
NOTTINGHAM Andrew
PARISH Kevin
PARKER Bronwyn
PAYNE Ben
PEACOCK Kerry
PERRY Yvonne
PETRIE Susanna
PHILLIPS Barbara
PORTER Julie
ROWE Anna
SAHA Sanna
SILCOCK Caroline
SPENCER Klair-Louise
STACKHOUSE Damian
STALDER Kathryn
STENT Hannah
SWASH Justin
TCHIGHIANOFF Caroline
TOPPING Jane
WALKER-HALL Jamie
WEST Benedict
WHITEHEAD Sonia
WHITEHOUSE Chantal
WILLOUGHBY Sarah
WRIGHT Jonathan
WRIGHT Victoria
YOULE Kim

C8B1 Psychology with Physiology

LANDER Emma
SHARPLES Karen
VALENTI Gianni

B1C8 Physiology with Psychology

FARQUHARSON Kerry
MABEY Celia
NEWHOUSE Harrit

Intercalated Medical

GUGLANI Sacha
SEDDON Kate
SMITH Damian

(f) GEARY COMMENTARIES

comm1:
geary.crow.html
geary.davis.html
geary.dowker.html

comm2:
geary.foss.html
geary.frith.html
geary.gilger.html

comm3:
geary.hammer.html
geary.kimball.html
geary.kornbrot.html

comm4:
geary.proudfoot.html
geary.tan.html
geary.thomas.html
geary.zohar.html

response.geary.html

------------

12 Commentators are only available in the printed paper version:

Casey, Chipman, Epstein, Feingold, Ghiselin, Halpern,
Humphreys, Newcombe, Rowe, Sherman, Stanley, Wynn.

(g) OTHER TRICKS FOR GETTING THE TEXTS (optional)

   Here are other tricks for grabbing the texts to quote them:

   Trick #1: While viewing the paper on Netscape, you can send it as
   email directly.

   Press "file" and select "send page"

   then address the mail to:
   yr3c@psy.soton.ac.uk

   Press file again and select "quote original text"

   this will automatically quote the whole text that is already
   in the Netscape mailer. Instead of "> " you will see a blue
   line on the left margin. That's the same as quoting.

   delete what you don't want to quote, then insert text where
   you want to comment, and send it to yr3c@psy.soton.ac.uk

   Trick #2: While viewing the paper in Netscape, you can save it as
   a file directly, By pressing "File" and selecting "Save As"
   (pick the file name and the directory you want it saved in)

   then open the file using whichever wordprocessor you like, and
   delete and quote what you wish, do your comment.

   then paste the file into a mail message
   and send it to to yr3c@psy.soton.ac.uk