Schyns

From: Bilak Alexandra (ab495@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 10:03:08 BST

I understand that we perceive the world and objects in the world by
distinguishing objects among others, and being able to categorise
and label them. By doing this, we are extracting relevant features of
each object, which will enable us to sort them as specific
categories of objects. For example, the reason why I can see the car
in front of me amongst the incredibly large amount of information
arriving at my senses is because I am recognising the features
"relatively big", "four wheels", "windows", etc... and inferring the
category "car" from it (or are these just parts?, God I'm confused).

Anyway, what I don't understand is when they state that categorical
constraints can influence features: how can features be "extracted and
developed" as an organism categorises its world? I don't seem to
understand the blob experiments and the order of learning X, Y, and XY
(and even less the one with the Z), let alone what this could possibly
show.

Could you possibly explain, IN KID SIB (to be honest, I think this
article suffers from a serious lack of kid sib considerations)?

Thanks! Alex.