Re: What Is Behaviour?

From: Lyne Katherine (kml295@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 28 1996 - 14:08:03 GMT

> From: HOLMES Sharon <SHH@isvr.soton.ac.uk>
> Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 11:57:42 +0000

> Choice is an interesting question to raise. Do we really have a
> choice in our behaviours? According to behaviourism, we have no
> 'free will', we essentially react to our environment with a vast set
> of responses. Do we truely have 'free will' in what we
> do or are we constrained by our environment and social surrounds. Do
> we react to a situation as we chose to do, or do we just react?

Surely it is not a question of either/ or, but, as in so many things it
is a combination of both social constraints and also free will. I
cannot believe that everything is done according to the environment
with a set of responses - if that were so then how could altruistic
behaviours be explained? I do not deny that there must be some
influence of environment but I suggest that it is a combination of
these factors.