Re: What Is the Mind?

From: Ryan, NM (nmr196@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Feb 12 1997 - 11:49:33 GMT

Cognitive science is the study of the human mind as an information
processing system. As such it seeks to utilise any method in its power
to quantitatively model the mind. It seems that a huge aspect of what
it is to be human is ignored by this definition as humans are both
spiritual and emotional beings. Thus as I see it cognitive science deals
only with one of several aspects of what it is to be human. To take its
concepts and believe they are an absolute model of how people are seems
to me to be very dangerous, as this would lead to a very mechanistic
view of people which manifestly we are not.