Re: Theory of Mind

From: Holmes, Sharon (shh@isvr.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 01 1997 - 11:32:09 GMT

> > > SO this means that adults are just selfish, whereas,
> > > children and autistics are really egocentric? Sandra
> > >
> > Yes, - would you agree that 'selfish' adults are 'aware' of their
> > actions - by this, I mean they can see the other person's view point,
> > but choose to ignore it in favour of their own desires? For example,
> > some criminals may choose to ignore their victim's suffering. Young
> > children and autistics do not have this awareness.
> >
> > Sharon
> Hang on a minute! I think that's a bit harsh suggesting
> adults that show egocentric behaviour are really just
> selfish. I don't believe it is that simple. Do you
> really believe that criminals are aware of their victim's
> suffering but choose to ignore it? What about suppressed
> feelings therefore being unable to understand others
> feelings. If you ignore this possibility then you are
> rejecting a lot of other theories in psychology.
> Tabitha

I am not a criminologist. This was a suggestion - not a statement -
that some criminals may choose to ignore any suffering of their
victims.

I don't understand exactly what you mean by this statement:-

 "What about suppressed feelings therefore being unable to understand others
 feelings. If you ignore this possibility then you are
 rejecting a lot of other theories in psychology."

All I am trying to point out is that some people may be AWARE of
other people's state of mind - thoughts and feelings, yet choose to
ignore them in favour of their own desires. On the other hand, a
friend who is completing her criminology MSc points out that some
criminals get their kicks out of knowing how their victims are
suffering, but feel no remorse or guilt. As interesting as this is,
I feel we are digressing from the point.

Sharon