Re: The Frame Problem

From: Lowing, Ben (brl196@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Mar 06 1997 - 13:40:32 GMT

> I think the reason we cannot really be said to be bound by a
> frame in the same way as a computer is our ability to, once
> we grasp the rules, apply them to any/many different given
> circumstances other than those they were first presented in.

Do you think that the 'intelligent' application of rules to new
situations would be essential before we could describe a machine as
being conscious?

If there is no frame to our knowledge, how do we explain it? Is this
application of knowledge what separates us from machines? Or is it our
feeling, which we describe as emotions?