Re: This year's exam questions

From: Harnad, Stevan (harnad@cogsci.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 04 1997 - 21:05:14 BST

> From: Beeching, Tabitha <tjab196@soton.ac.uk>
>
> > There will be 10 questions, of which four must be answered.
>
> Would it be possible to be more specific about these 10
> questions? Will there be one from each chapter of the book,
> or will they be totally random questions?
> I'm asking because this course has quite a lot of difficult
> concepts to understand let alone learn in detail. It would
> be less stressful to be able to narrow the choice down to
> revising four areas of the book as opposed to all 11
> chapters in detail. Look forward to your reply Tabitha

The exam has no surprises, just as the Quiz did not. The 10 questions
will be on material that is discussed in my lectures and notes, but you
need the chapter material for the full kid-sib story. Unlike the quiz,
the exam questions will touch on a few points, rather than just one,
and your answer should put them together.

They will mostly be from different chapters, but, as I said, you'll
need to put a few things together: If you have a straight kid-sib
understanding, then putting it together will be no problem at all.

It would be a good idea to look at last year's psy104 skywriting,
because it will give you the idea of the kind of question there will
be. The difference is that last year the questions were all
pre-seen and shorter. This year's questions will require about
a bit more than twice as much material in your 4 answers as in last
year's 10. [The material covered also differs between this year and last
year.]

I'll now list 10 questions that are the same KIND of questions,
so you get a clear idea of what it will be like. (These are NOT the
questions from the exam.)

You would be asked to reply to 4 out of the 10.

(1) What can be learnt about cognition from introspection?
[Here you would talk -- kid-sib style -- about the problems with
introspection and why it cannot explain the mind; you can also add some
pointers in a better direction.]

(2) What is the "Chinese Room Argunment," and what does it imply about
explaining the mind?
[Here you would show kid-sibly how Searle's argument ruled out a purely
computational explanation of the mind, and how; always a good idea to
add some pointers in a better direction.]

(3) What is the difference between supervised and unsupervised neural
nets? What can each be used for?

(4) What is "double-dissociation" and how does it help in explaining the
mind?

(5) What is "invariance" and what role does it play in the explanation
of vision?

(6) Discuss context effects in speech processing.

(7) Discuss conext effects in pragmatics.

(8) How have semantic priming and the lexical decision tsk been used to
understand reading?

(9) What is the role of the hippocampus in memory?

(10) Describe the strengths and weaknesses of the Norman & Shallice
for the control of action.