Questions 11, 14, 24, 28, 32 & 35 Challenged

From: Linketscher, Nadja (nbl196@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 16:11:59 BST

Question 11

I thought e is the right answer. As far as I understood it,
sentence meaning=literal meaning which is 'invariant over
different contexts of use' (glossary in Green, p.375). Does
this not imply that it is context independent? And taken
into account that syntactic rules apply to the sentence
meaning only, the answer should be, I think, e.

Question 14

Here, the answer seems to depend on the right answer in the
question raised above. Even though you do not know what the
person did not understand in answer e, it seems obvious and
not requiring context that there is a communication problem
which needs further clarification.

Question 24

What is wrong with answer d? Take an example: say, you have
developed a theory, which can be simulated by computation,
(so you actually explain something),and therefore you have
made an influential contribution to cognitive science. When
explaining the underlying mechanisms in PY 104, you do not
have to tell us all about it, you just say as much as you
want to (c). And, even if you did tell us anything about it,
and someone rephrases it in his or her own words,it is still
your idea (a, similar to b) - so, what do you lose?

Question 28

I thought that procedural memory is about HOW you remember
what you do. Why is it not b then? One could argue that I
tried to retrieve how I learned the difference between
declarative and procedural memory, not only that they are
different concepts.

Question 32

What else are echoic and ichonic memory if not short-term
memory? I thought this is part of Baddeley and Hitch's
working memory. Echoic memory can be rehearsed whereas
iconic cannot, and that is why most visual stimuli are
phonologically encoded. And is it not true that, among
others, digit span (e.g. 7+-2 chunks according to Miller)is
used as a way of testing short-term memory?

Finally, question 35

I have always thought that information in STM needs to be
consolidated before getting into LTM. So, is there another
consolidation process going on in LTM in order to strengthen
the incoming memory traces to already existing ones?