Questions 16, 17, 21, 24, 30, 32. 34 & 35 Challenged

From: Head, Phineas (pah196@soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 16:47:22 BST

I am afraid I had difficulties with the following;

Q (16)

If we assume Grice's Maxims to be;

  "Quantity (say no more than needed to get your information across)
   Quality (make sure the message is true)
   Relation (make sure your message is relevant)
   Manner (make it simple and understandable)"

and S&W's Theory of Relevance to be

 "In a given context, information should be relevant.....[where]

  RELEVANCE = Implications/Effort

  it is that it is not obvious that what we
  usually want is the largest number of
  implications. What we want is the largest
  number of RELEVANT implications. This suggests
  that the Relevance Principle may be circular."

then could not "Quantity" be akin to "Effort" and
"Quality" akin to "Implication"? Obviously, I
conceded that relation is important too, but
took d. to be the 'best fit' answer.

Q (17)

If I say "I think bull fighting is an entirely morally
laudable past time." then surely the 'sense' in which I
meant that (tone of voice, context, my (known) views
etc.) conveys to the listener that I think it is
uniformly evil, as in answer d.? Or am I overextending
the sense of 'sense'?

Q (21)

At the risk of being the least popular member of
py 104 since Chomsky, (actually IF I do persuade you,
your algorithm change means all the others get it
right too, yes?) here goes....

I would argue that for one prisoner to even begin
to consider what is going on in the other chap's
mind IS the theory of mind (or at least, the theory of
mind IN WORKING) and therefore, answer a. If
he had none, and therefore failed to try and theorize
on the other's predicament and likely action then he
would rat IMMEDIATELY (the least painful option) WITHOUT
all that cogitation.
Indeed, this is surely a SECOND ORDER example, since
he has to know what the OTHER villein is thinking ABOUT
WHAT HE IS THINKING ABOUT POSSIBLY DOING IN THE LIGHT
OF WHAT THEY ARE BOTH THINKING! I think.

i.e.

  "Do CRIMINALS know THAT other CRIMINALS know
   and WHAT other CRIMINALS know."

Q (24)

I'm with Sandra here...

Q (30)

I thought HM had lost his SHORT TERM store as well
(although he could consolidate procedures). His
pre-lesion episodic was fine wasn't it? Also, given
Q (35)'s answer of c. surely the hipocampi have to
contain (in whatever way) short term memories in order
for them to be consolidated. I put c. anyway.

Q (32)

Same as Sandra.

Q (34)

Given b., how do we know? I don't really
understand what is actually going on here,
could you Kid-Sib me please?

Q (35)

With Sandra again.