Re: Colour perception

From: Liz Lee (EAL195@psy.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Mar 07 1997 - 08:56:27 GMT

Dear Stevan,
I've read that the inability to perceive certain colours may also be
acquired, for instance people living in equatorial regions are
exposed to higher amounts of ultra violet light which somehow damages
the receptors and prevents them from distinguishing blue/green/black.
Also that there may be dietary factors involved. I was wondering
whether one might lose the ability to perceive specific colours if
there is an absence of that colour in their environment (a bit like
the Japanese' inability to perceive "r" or, like the kittens only
exposed to vertical lines not being able to see horizontal ones). Is
this silly, or is there any evidence to support this?
Thanks
Liz