Upgrading XML Support in IE
This implementation of the Zigzag® idea requires particular features of the
Microsoft XML library that only appear in version 3. Until Internet Explorer
6, the standard version distributed with the system is version 2. If you
have Internet Explorer version 6 or greater (see the Help/About Internet
Explorer menu item) then you already have everything you need.
How To Upgrade
The upgrade is a two-stage process: first of all the version 3 library
(MSXML3.DLL) has to be installed, and secondly the system has to be
told that the version 3 library is the default XML library. If the
second stage is not performed, only software that explicitly
requests the new library will be able to use it. IE, in particular,
will continue to use the old library.
- Install MSXML3.DLL
- Download the MSXML3.DLL file from this page on the MSDN web site (look for the "download" link)
- Double-click on the file you just downloaded to run the installer. (Note that if your system doesn't have the Windows Installer program, you may need to
follow the instructions on the MSDN page above to get that as well!)
- Make it the Default XML library
- Download XMLINST.EXE from this page on the MSDN web site.
- Double click on the file you just downloaded to uncompress it into a new directory on your system.
- Find the files that you just uncompressed, and double-click on the pram to run it. Confusingly, it is called XMLINST.EXE as well as the self-extracting archive you just downloaded!
ZigZag is a registered software trademark of Project Xanadu
Return to the Zigzag in XML page