|Professor Sir Nigel Richard Shadbolt
FREng CEng CITP CPsychol FBCS ECCAI Fellow
|2000-||Professor of Artificial Intelligence
University of Southampton
Head of the Web and Internet Science group comprising 140 staff, researchers and PhD students. From 2007-2011 Deputy Head of School Research for Electronics and Computer Science. Since 2000 secured 17 projects as Principal Investigator with a value of £20,808,119. Google Scholar returns 13866 citations to his work, with an H index of 52. Currently PI on a £6.14M EPSRC funded Programme Grant researching the theory of social machines – Web scale problem solving systems comprising large numbers of humans and computers. From 2000-07 Director of the £7.5M EPSRC funded AKT IRC. Supervised 20 PhD students. From 2006-11 Technical Area Lead for the International Technology Alliance between the UK MoD and US DoD. Director of Research for the Doctoral Training Centre in Web Science, a five-year programme to train 80 PhD researchers over in the methods and techniques of this new Interdisciplinary area.
|2012-||Chairman and Co-Founder
Open Data Institute
In November 2011 the Chancellor announced £10M of funding for an Institute led by Nigel Shadbolt and Tim Berners-Lee charged with deploying, training and researching the science and technology of Open Data. The Institute is based in London and will involve business and academia.
|2010-||Member Public Sector Transparency Board
One of five independent experts appointed by HMG to advise the Prime Minister on the release of non-personal Government Data across all Government Departments. Provided input to Green and White papers and helped in formulation of public consultations. Authored the UK Public Data Principles, as of June 2012 these are now Government policy. The Minister for the Cabinet Office is Chair of the Board.
|2006-11||Chief Scientific Officer
Garlik Founder and CTO responsible for the company’s Semantic Web platform. In 2008 Garlik was awarded Technology Pioneer status by the Davos World Economic Forum and won the prestigious UK national BT Flagship IT Award. Moved to Chief Scientific Officer role in 2011. Experian Ltd. acquired Garlik in Nov 2011.
|2009-10||UK Information Advisor
Appointed by Prime Minister with Sir Tim Berners-Lee to transform access to Government Public Data – oversaw development of data.gov.uk
|1992-99||Allan Standen Professor of Intelligent Systems
University of Nottingham
|1990-92||Allan Standen Reader in Intelligent Systems
University of Nottingham
University of Nottingham.
Artificial Intelligence Group
Cambridge Consultants Ltd.
University of Edinburgh
|1980-82||Part-time Lecturer Computer Science
Napier College, Edinburgh.
|2006||Elected Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering|
|2004||Elected ECCAI Fellow (Representing AI Societies in Europe)|
|2004||Elected Fellow of the British Computer Society|
|1988||Member of the British Psychology Society, Chartered Psychologist C Psychol|
|1985||Member, CEng, CITP and of the British Computer Society|
|1984||PhD, University of Edinburgh, Department of Artificial Intelligence|
|1978||First Class Hons, University of Newcastle|
|Honours and Awards|
|2013||Knight Bachelor Queen’s Birthday Honours|
|2011||DSc Honoris Causi University of Nottingham|
|2011||Oxford Internet Institute OII Internet and Society Award|
|2010||Demographics User Group Award with Tim Berners-Lee|
|2009||Robert Fulton SEIKM Best Paper Award|
|2004||IEEE Computer Society Meritorious Service Award|
|2004||IEEE Computer Society Golden Core Award|
|2003||Won the 2003 International Semantic Web Challenge|
|2011-||Chair Midata Programme, Dept of Business, Innovation and Skills
Appointed by Minister of State to Chair Consumer Empowerment Programme to release data held by companies back to individuals.
|2010-||Chair Local Public Data Panel, Dept of Communities and Local Government
Appointed by Secretary of State to Chair Panel that provides independent advice on the release and use of local public data.
|2013-||Member Information Economy Council, Dept of Business, Innovation and Skills|
|2013-||Member Research Sector Transparency Board, Dept of Business, Innovation and Skills|
|2012-||Member Health Sector Transparency Board, Dept of Health|
|2010-||Member Home Office Scientific Advisory Committee, Home Office|
|2009-2013||Director World Wide Web Foundation (www.webfoundation.org).|
|2008-||Director Web Science Trust (www.webscience.org)|
|2011-||Member Ref2014 Panel Computer Science and Informatics|
|2008-10||Chair BCS Nominations Committee|
|2007-08||Immediate Past President British Computer Society|
|2006-07||President British Computer Society|
|2003-06||Vice President and Deputy President British Computer Society|
|2000-04||Editor in Chief of IEEE Intelligent Systems|
- Chair of UKCRC Grand Challenge in Computing Memories for Life.
- UK, EU and International grant awarding panels.
- Founding Director 2006 of the Web Science Research Initiative.
- Organised Royal Society 350th Anniversary Discussion Meeting on Web Science.
- Member of Ingenious Panel of the Royal Academy of Engineering.
- Previously Strategic Advisory Team (SAT) of the ICT programme of the EPSRC.
- Previously Defence Scientific Advisory Board’s Human Sciences Committee.
- Served on editorial boards of the Knowledge Engineering Review, Artificial Intelligence Review, Applied Ontology, IEEE Intelligent Systems, International Journal of Human Computer Studies and the Computer Journal. Joint Editor of the newly established Journal of Web Science.
Selected Keynote Presentations since 2007
- Digital Research 2012, Oxford
- White House Smart Disclosure Summit, Washington, 2012
- EU Ministerial Conference, Posnan, Poland, 2012
- EU Summit on Health Data Futures, 2012
- Royal Academy of Engineering, Technology Visionaries Lecture, 2012
- Open Government Partnership, New York, 2011.
- Open World Forum, Paris, 2011.
- The Cambridge Conference, 2011.
- ESSIR, Koblenz, 2011.
- Consegi2011, Brasilia, 2011.
- Christmas Lecture, Foundation for Science and Technology, 2010.
- Roy Soc Public Lecture, Nov 2010.
- OpenForum Summit, Brussels, 2010.
- Global Risk Summit, Gleneagles 2010.
- Int. Network Seminar, USC, 2010.
- HMG Annual Science Conference 2010
- Online Information Conference, London, 2010.
- 4th ASWC, Shanghai, 2009.
- 1st Int. Web Science Conf., Athens, 2009.
- 5th Int. Conf. KCAP, Los Angeles, 2009.
- The Whitehead Lectures, Goldsmiths, London, 2009.
- Naturalistic Decision Making NDM 09, London, 2009.
- 21st Int. Conf. CAISE 2009, Amsterdam, 2009.
- Guardian Activate Summit, London, 2009.
- Cheltenham Science Festival, 2009.
- E-Crime Congress, London, 2009.
- Web Intelligence WI-08, Sydney, 2008.
- 5th European Semantic Web. Conference, ESWC2008, Tenerife, Spain, 2008.
- BA Science Festival, York, 2007.