2000- Professor of Artificial Intelligence, University of Southampton.
Head of the Web and Internet Science group comprising 140 staff, researchers and PhD students. From 2007-2011 Deputy Head of School Research for Electronics and Computer Science. Since 2000 secured 17 projects as Principal Investigator with a value of £20,808,119. Google Scholar returns 10800 citations to his work, with an H index of 48. Currently PI on a £6.14M EPSRC funded Programme Grant researching the theory of social machines – Web scale problem solving systems comprising large numbers of humans and computers. From 2000-07 Director of the £7.5M EPSRC funded AKT IRC. Supervised 20 PhD students. From 2006-11 Technical Area Lead for the International Technology Alliance between the UK MoD and US DoD. Director of Research for the Doctoral Training Centre in Web Science, a five-year programme to train 80 PhD researchers over in the methods and techniques of this new Interdisciplinary area.
2012- Co-Director and Chairman of the Open Data Institute
In November 2011 the Chancellor announced £10M of funding for an Institute led by Nigel Shadbolt and Tim Berners-Lee charged with deploying, training and researching the science and technology of Open Data. The Institute is based in London and will involve business and academia.
2010- Public Sector Transparency Board, Cabinet Office.
One of five independent experts appointed by HMG to advise the Prime Minister on the release of non-personal Government Data across all Government Departments. Provided input to Green and White papers and helped in formulation of public consultations. Authored the UK Public Data Principles, as of June 2012 these are now Government policy. The Minister for the Cabinet Office is Chair of the Board.
1980-82 Part-time Lecturer Computer Science, Napier College, Edinburgh.
1982-83 Research Fellow, University of Edinburgh.
1984-00 Associate, Artificial Intelligence Group, Cambridge Consultants Ltd.
1983-90 Lecturer, Cognitive Science, University of Nottingham.
1990-92 Allan Standen Reader in Intelligent Systems, University of Nottingham.
1992-99 Allan Standen Professor of Intelligent Systems, University of Nottingham.
2009-10 UK Information Advisor – appointed by Prime Minister with Sir Tim Berners-Lee to transform access to Government Public Data – oversaw development of data.gov.uk
2006-2011 Chief Scientific Officer, Garlik Ltd. – founder and CTO responsible for the company’s Semantic Web platform. In 2008 Garlik was awarded Technology Pioneer status by the Davos World Economic Forum and won the prestigious UK national BT Flagship IT Award. Moved to Chief Scientific Officer role in 2011. Experian Ltd. acquired Garlik in Nov 2011.
Qualifications and Elected Professional Societies
1978 BA (Hons.) Philosophy and Psychology (First Class) University of Newcastle.
1984 PhD Artificial Intelligence, University of Edinburgh.
1988 British Psychology Society, Chartered Psychologist.
2004 Fellow of the British Computer Society (BCS).
2004 Fellow of the European Artificial Intelligence Association (ECCAI).
2006 Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering.
Honours and Awards
2011 DSc Honoris Causi University of Nottingham.
2011 Oxford Internet Institute OII Internet and Society Award.
2010 Demographics User Group Award with Tim Berners-Lee.
2009 Robert Fulton SEIKM Best Paper Award.
2003 Won the 2003 International Semantic Web Challenge.
2007 AKT IRC project rated outstanding – final review score of 34 out of 35.
2004 IEEE Computer Society Meritorious Service Award.
2004 IEEE Computer Society Golden Core Award.
2010- Chair Local Public Data Panel, Dept. of Communities and Local Government. Appointed by Secretary of State to Chair Panel that provides independent advice on the release and use of local public data.
2011- Chair midata programme, Dept. of Business, Innovation and Skills. Appointed by Minister of State to Chair Consumer Empowerment Programme to release data held by companies back to individuals.
2010- Home Office Scientific Advisory Committee.
2008- Director Web Science Trust – (www.webscience.org).
2009- Director World Wide Web Foundation (www.webfoundation.org).
2003-06 Vice President, Deputy President, British Computer Society (BCS).
2006-07 President, British Computer Society – 50th Anniversary Year.
2007-08 Immediate Past President British Computer Society – developing new models of Chartered qualification.
2008-10 Chair BCS Nominations Committee responsible for recommending all senior leadership positions within the Society.
2000-04 Editor in Chief of IEEE Intelligent Systems.
2011- Member Ref2014 Panel Computer Science and Informatics.
- Chair of UKCRC Grand Challenge in Computing Memories for Life.
- UK, EU and International grant awarding panels.
- Founding Director 2006 of the Web Science Research Initiative.
- Organised Royal Society 350th Anniversay Discussion Meeting on Web Science.
- Member of Ingenious Panel of the Royal Academy of Engineering.
- Previously Strategic Advisory Team (SAT) of the ICT programme of the EPSRC.
- Previously Defence Scientific Advisory Board’s Human Sciences Committee.
- Served on editorial boards of the Knowledge Engineering Review, Artificial Intelligence Review, Applied Ontology, IEEE Intelligent Systems, International Journal of Human Computer Studies and the Computer Journal. Joint Editor of the newly established Journal of Web Science.
Selected Keynote Presentations since 2007
- Digital Research 2012, Oxford
- White House Smart Disclosure Summit, Washington, 2012
- EU Ministerial Conference, Posnan, Poland, 2012
- EU Summit on Health Data Futures, 2012
- Royal Academy of Engineering, Technology Visionaries Lecture, 2012
- Open Government Partnership, New York, 2011.
- Open World Forum, Paris, 2011.
- The Cambridge Conference, 2011.
- ESSIR, Koblenz, 2011.
- Consegi2011, Brasilia, 2011.
- Christmas Lecture, Foundation for Science and Technology, 2010.
- Roy Soc Public Lecture, Nov 2010.
- OpenForum Summit, Brussels, 2010.
- Global Risk Summit, Gleneagles 2010.
- Int. Network Seminar, USC, 2010.
- HMG Annual Science Conference 2010
- Online Information Conference, London, 2010.
- 4th ASWC, Shanghai, 2009.
- 1st Int. Web Science Conf., Athens, 2009.
- 5th Int. Conf. KCAP, Los Angeles, 2009.
- The Whitehead Lectures, Goldsmiths, London, 2009.
- Naturalistic Decision Making NDM 09, London, 2009.
- 21st Int. Conf. CAISE 2009, Amsterdam, 2009.
- Guardian Activate Summit, London, 2009.
- Cheltenham Science Festival, 2009.
- E-Crime Congress, London, 2009.
- Web Intelligence WI-08, Sydney, 2008.
- 5th European Semantic Web. Conference, ESWC2008, Tenerife, Spain, 2008.
- BA Science Festival, York, 2007.