I have been working at the University of Southampton since November 2004. I am currently a senior research fellow in the Web and Internet Science (WAIS) research group at the University of Southampton. My primary role is to manage and coordinate research activities across a variety of Web Science research projects. I am also a research task leader for the International Technology Alliance (ITA), which is an Anglo-American consortium of academic, industrial and government partners undertaking fundamental research into the information and network sciences.
Most of my day-to-day research activities involve the development and evaluation of a variety of next-generation Web technologies, specifically those built on top of the Semantic Web and Linked Data Web. I am also interested in a number of more fundamental research topics, including the contribution of social and technological networks to human cognition. The reason for this rather eclectic mix of research interests and activities relates to the diversity of my academic background. I originally studied for a degree in Psychology at the University of Nottingham, and then went on to study for a doctorate in Experimental Psychology at the University of Sussex. My transition into computer science began about 15 years ago when I joined Epistemics, a specialist provider of knowledge engineering services and solutions. After a number of years of developing knowledge-based systems for corporate and government clients, I moved to Southampton to focus on research and development.
Colleagues and Co-authors
- Dave Braines (IBM, UK)
- David Mott (IBM, UK)
- Paul Stone (IBM UK)
- Paula Engelbrecht (Amberlight UX)
- Cheryl Giammanco (U.S. Army Research Laboratory)
- Jim Hendler (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute)
- Trung Dong Huynh (University of Southampton)
- Nigel Shadbolt (University of Southampton)
- Gianluca Correndo (University of Southampton)
- mc (University of Southampton)
- Elena Simperl (University of Southampton)
- Mark Nixon (University of Southampton)
- Orestis Palermos (University of Edinburgh)
- Duncan Pritchard (University of Edinburgh)
- Robert Clowes (New University of Lisbon)
- Alun Preece (Cardiff University)
- Winston Sieck (Global Cognition, LLC)
- Louise Rasmussen (Global Cognition, LLC)
- Katia Sycara (Carnegie Mellon University)
- Christian Lebiere (Carnegie Mellon University)
- Yuqing Tang (Carnegie Mellon University)
- Richard Heersmink (Macquarie University)
My Computing Skills
- Operating Systems: Mostly Mac and Windows.
- Deployment Environments: Web and Windows.
- Database: SQL Server, MySQL, Access, SQL, ADO.NET
- Knowledge Technologies: CommonKADS, Protégé, OWL, RDF, RDF(S), RDQL, SPARQL, CLIPS, Knowledge Elicitation Techniques, Ontology Engineering, ACT-R
- Applications: Microsoft Office Suite, Expression Studio, EndNote, SPSS, Camtasia Studio, Unity3D, Photoshop, etc., and lots more.
- Software Development: UI Design, OO Analysis & Design, UML, CML (Conceptual Modelling Language), Requirements Elicitation
- Typesetting: LaTeX
- 3D Modelling/Game Development: Unity, XNA
Click here for a copy of my CV (updated June 2015).