Re: Future UK RAEs to be Metrics-Based

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:30:28 +0000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Ian Sommerville wrote:

> This is the wording from the budget document
>
> "The Government
> wants this to continue, but thinks the close correlation between
> Research Council income
> and QR income may provide an opportunity for allocating QR using a
> radically simpler
> system. "
>
> The point is made that, at an institutional level, there is a 0.98
> correlation between research income and QR. No mention of citation
> impact. An alternative metric may be proposed for the humanities.

You are quite right that the default metric many have in mind is research
income, but be patient! Now that the door has been opened to objective
metrics, this will spawn more and more candidates for enriching the metric
equation. If RAE top-slicing seeks to be an independent funding source,
it will want to have some predictive metrics that are independent of
prior funding; if it just wants to redundantly follow research funding,
it need merely scale up research grants to absorb what would have been
the RAE top-slice!

The important thing is to scrap the useless, time-wasting RAE
preparation/evaluation ritual we were all faithfully performing, when the
outcome was already so predictable from other, cheaper sources. Objective
metrics are the natural, sensible way to conduct such an exercise,
and once we are doing metrics, many powerful new predictive measures will
present themselves, over and above grant income and citations. The ranking
will not come from one variable, but from a multiple regression equation,
with many weighted predictor metrics.

Stevan Harnad
Professor of Cognitive Science
Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton
Highfield, Southampton
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM
phone: +44 23-80 592-388