Re: CERN's historic role in OA

From: FrederickFriend <ucylfjf_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:14:05 +0100

I would like to support CERN's approach on both repository deposit and OA
journals for particle physics research. Their approach is absolutely right.
On deposit in repositories they have good policies in place, they are
flexible in the way in which they secure deposits, they are more successful
than most other organizations in the level of repository deposit, and they
are already active in encouraging other institutions to follow their
example. It is difficult to see what more they could do to promote
repository deposit.

Valuable though the repository content is, the large world-wide particle
physics community still feels the need for the value added by high-prestige
journals. The best way to maximise that added value is through collaboration
with existing high-quality journals in a move from subscription to OA,
funded as part of the research process. CERN is leading this work on behalf
of the community it serves, and as with repository deposit the approach
taken by particle physicists could be followed by other subject communities.
Both repositories and OA journals bring benefits to academic research.

Fred Friend