Re: Serials wars or OA?

From: Fytton Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:03:26 +0100

At the UK Serials Group conference, which has just ended, there was a
session this morning with Stephen Pinfield of Nottingham University, an OA
and institutional repositories advocate, and Sally Morris, recently retired
Chief Executive of ALPSP, both speaking. Many of us expected a ding-dong
battle. It didn't materialize. There were significant areas of agreement,
and both felt that to avoid risks of harm to the scholarly communication
system there needed to be genuine discussion and negotiation between the
publisher and library communities. (Memories of Ian Paisley shaking hands
with Gerry Adams came into my head!) I think we may at last be reaching a
point where the mutual recriminations and points-scoring end, and serious
discussions begin.

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University.

http://listserver.sigmaxi.org/sc/wa.exe?A2=ind07&L=american-scientist-open-access-forum&O=D&F=l&P=27166